Taft Historic Fort
weddings, events, and tours
The Historic Fort, a slightly larger replica of Sutter’s Fort in Sacramento, was dedicated on May 22, 1940, 100 years after the original Sutter’s Fort was built. The project was a joint venture between the Works Project Administration (WPA) and the County of Kern in 1938. Covering three acres, the adobe structure includes two courtyards, a gazebo, and an auditorium. At one time, most of the governmental offices and the hospital in the community were housed at the Fort. Declared unsafe in 1952 following an earthquake, the Fort was dedicated as a State Historic Landmark in 1980, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, through the efforts of Assemblyman Trice Harvey. In 1985, the Fort was given to the West Kern Oil Museum, and in 1992, the Fort Preservation Society was formed and became the owner of the Historic Fort. Now the Fort is used for offices, meeting rooms, and as a wedding venue and is managed by an on-site Executive Director, Edith Laurin.
Venue includes outside lawn areas, and/or indoor auditorium with access to a full kitchen. Reservations for weddings, events, and other activities may be booked by calling the Fort at 661-765-7371. The Fort is located at 915 N. 10th Street in Taft, CA.